The latest stable version can be downloaded at the Sourceforge KoLmafia files page.
The latest daily build can be downloaded from here.
For more information on download options, please see the Sourceforge Manual.
Windows users have the option of using either an .exe file or a .jar file.
For those uncomfortable with checking on advanced Java settings and configuration, using the .exe is recommended. The .exe file is always available with the latest stable release, and weekly builds of the .exe are also posted each Sunday night on the Daily Builds page.
- Mafia will automatically create sub-directories at the location where it is run, so it is inadvisable to run it from your desktop.
If you are running Mac OS X 10.4.x or higher, you do not need to download or install a separate JRE. If you are running Mac OS X 10.3.9, then you will need to upgrade your Java to 1.4 by going here: Java Update for Mac OS X v10.3. If you are running Mac OS X 10.2.6, then you will need to upgrade your Java to 1.4 by going here: Java Update for Mac OS X v10.2.6. If you are running an older version of Mac OS, unfortunately, KoLmafia will likely not run on your system.
Once you have made sure you have an operating system and version of Java high enough to run KOL mafia, you can download it here.
From this page choose the .dmg file and the download will start. Once the download is finished, a finder window will open. Drag the KoLmafia icon into the Applications alias. Then on your sidebar choose Applications, and find KoLmafia. Then you're good to go!
- Unlike in the windows version that the DMG and JAR KoLmafia application saves out your session, scripts, and user data NOT in the same folder as the launcher. The files are located at - /Users/username/Library/Application Support/KoLmafia
Tip - if you wish to sync your KoLmafia script/data folders automatically to say dropbox and other computers you can easily do this by using a Symbolic Link between the two locations, example command given below:
ln -s /Users/username/Library/Application\ Support/KoLmafia/ /Users/username/Documents/Dropbox/Files/
Information to create the link gotten from this location - 
For a Linux user, the .jar versions of KoLMafia are ideal. Simply download the .jar, and place it in whatever directory you wish.
- KoLMafia will store its data in ~/.kolmafia, and any scripts you want to access through the Scripts menu should be installed into ~/.kolmafia/scripts.
If clicking on the .jar in your favorite file manager does not invoke it:
- Make sure you have a recent Java VM installed (Sun or Blackdown both work. The target Java version for KoLMafia is currently 1.4)
- Make sure your desktop environment knows to use 'java -jar' to invoke .jars