About 90% of the spam seems to go straight to this talk page, so I've protected it until further notice. Please feel free to ask any questions wherever you think is relevant; if it seems like something that should be moved here, heeheehee or I will take care of it! Thanks for your understanding. --StDoodle (#1059825) 14:33, 21 April 2010 (UTC)
Edit: this protection applies to new & unregistered users only; those who've been around a while can still post here directly if appropriate.
- How long is someone required to be registered before they can edit a protected page? --Bale 03:41, 22 April 2010 (UTC)
Huh, never noticed this edit. I'd thought I'd protected this page so that only admins could edit it, but I guess not. Seems to have worked anyway, though, so... yippee? --StDoodle (#1059825) 12:01, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
Edit; nevermind, I'm an idiot. Looooong day. :P --StDoodle (#1059825) 12:01, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
Quick Links to Help
The following pages list particular places where we could use some help.
For more information, please see Help:Editing.
(rewritten & updated) --StDoodle (#1059825) 15:17, 13 March 2010 (UTC)
2010 April 13
I plan to remove the "Pardon our dust" etc. from the main page soon; I feel we've brought this place up to a reasonably-functional level, and while I'm certainly planning on continuing work on it, I don't think we need the "Under Construction" connotation at this point.
Change will be made very soon unless a compelling argument is made against. --StDoodle (#1059825) 13:28, 13 April 2010 (UTC)
- Sounds good to me. Progress level is almost always going UP now. ^_^ --Bale 01:07, 14 April 2010 (UTC)
Yup, though I'm not sure I want to list it at all in the near future... I dunno. Also, check out User:StDoodle/FakeMain for my oh-so-close attempts at dynamic sub-lists... wee! --StDoodle (#1059825) 02:57, 14 April 2010 (UTC)
Nice! (It's under "Contributing to the KoLMafia Project", for those who can't find it) --Heeheehee 03:47, 14 April 2010 (UTC)
Yes, we (StDoodle, fewyn, Grotfang, Alhifar & others) have been putting a lot of work into revamping, updating, and polishing this wiki over the last week or so. But the "Progress Level" on the main page is going down. Why? Simple; there was a lot of cruft, a lot of broken links, a lot of abandoned pages, etc. While most of the users mentioned above have been coming up with new content & standards, fewyn has used his admin super-powers to get rid of the stuff that really shouldn't be here. Please trust that the number of red links is going down, and the amount of content is going up!
But we can still use your help! Please lend a hand on any of the following:
- Code Samples: Coming up with sample code that illustrates a given function in a useful way without being overly complicated for the new user is challenging; suggestions & additions that accomplish these goals are in high demand!
- Unknown Functions: Quite a few functions are mysterious to me, and possibly others. I have little info on how combat consult functions work, for example. If you can help with a specific function, please add whatever you can to its specific page, talk page, or category page (or use my Talk Page). If you don't feel comfortable with the templating system, don't worry; just add what you can, and someone else can clean it up later. (Note: once the vast majority of pages are set up to standards, I would like to make sure all non-formatted info goes onto discussion pages).
- Gruntwork: There are a LOT of pages to add; if you feel comfortable using the templates provided, please go ahead! See Basic Templates for a list of templates used for function pages; there should be enough info there to get started, but if not, please join us in the #kolmafia IRC channel or post questions on my Talk Page.
Note that while I have plans for expanding some functionality of function pages, they don't interfere with getting the work done now; it's all stuff that can be added-in a line or two at a time once such expansions are made.
Note also that, while I've put a bit of work into having an underlying structure for function pages, the rest is rather lacking. Some of the templates could certainly be useful on other pages (CodeSample in particular), but I don't have any "grand plan" for how to organize datatypes, language conventions, etc. But don't worry about it! If the page exists, edit in some more info if it's a subject you're interested in. If you're really hesitant to change what's there, add it to the discussion page for the article. If a page doesn't exist, and you really think it should, don't hesitate to create it. Moving it around later, if deemed necessary, doesn't take any real effort (but do try not to link to a new page from a great deal of places until it's name has been reviewed, please; again, use my Talk Page, this page, or IRC if you desire any guidance).
Also, don't worry about offending me! I may have seemed a bit touchy over the () issue (and I was, but only because of how it impacted FUNCTIONALITY of the wiki), but even then, I'm happier with the eventual compromise than my original plans. And I certainly don't own the place; I'm just trying to help!
All thoughts welcome.
(Updated) --StDoodle 21:39, 2 March 2010 (UTC)
Note: All discussion from before the edit-extravaganza of 2010 has been moved here.