FUNCTION_NAME

From KoLMafia
Jump to: navigation, search

Please note; eventually, all mention of "as of version..." will become somewhat out-of-date. I'd like to propose that from here forward, we only mention versions if there are things missing from a list that are included in more modern versions (ie the Master Function List should mention when it was last updated); I'd prefer to add in a general note somewhere along the lines of "unless noted otherwise, all documentation refers to the latest daily build." Thoughts? --StDoodle (#1059825) 15:48, 30 April 2010 (UTC)

Please. Let's not make this wiki a history lesson of how every function gets changed. Did you accidently post this here instead of on the Talk page? I'm afraid I don't quite understand your example of when to list version numbers. --Bale 21:38, 30 April 2010 (UTC)

Edit: talk moved to talk, main page cleaned up. (It was a rough morning.) --StDoodle (#1059825) 23:52, 30 April 2010 (UTC)


Would it hurt if I made a link to the Wikipedia article explaining MediaWiki markup?

Also, what's with all the I see in the function pages? It looks like Template:FunctionPage is having problems with the CustomTitle extension.

--PhilmASTErpLus 07:18, 21 June 2010 (UTC)

After a server update that stopped working. If you've got any good ideas why it would stop working, please chime in. I find it somewhat troubling. --Bale 10:04, 21 June 2010 (UTC)

To elaborate, one of the major drawbacks of using a wiki for programming-related info is that parentheses are designed to be used for disambiguation pages. Any article titles with them included tend to break fuzzy-matching in searches, and since the main goal of this site was to be a usable resource, especially for people new to scripting, that just didn't work. However, many people had legitimate concerns over hacking off the parentheses from the end of a function name. The compromise solution was to use the CustomTitle extension, which allows a page to be displayed differently than it's actually saved on the wiki. Mostly through templates, we were able to tack the parentheses on to the end of a function's name, so that you could have it saved as "some_function" in the wiki, allowing a search for "some" or a search for "function" to be useful, as well as "some function", but the page would display as "some_function()". Unfortunately, as Bale mentioned, the latest server upgrade has broken that extension, and no one has figured out a fix yet (and it's a bit maddening). For reference, we have tested, and the extension is broken wiki-wide, not just from its current template use. Since fewyn is the only one with server access, the rest of us haven't really been able to do much beyond reporting on the issue. --StDoodle (#1059825) 15:30, 21 June 2010 (UTC)

Never could get the customtitle extension to work, but the new version of the wiki has a new option for using {{DISPLAYTITLE:TITLE GOES HERE}} in its place. Please use this from here out; should be fixed on all existing pages. (For reference, on older versions of the wiki, this could only change capitalization, but couldn't add characters.) --StDoodle (#1059825) 17:59, 21 June 2010 (UTC)

Oh my thank goodness! I'm so happy that you fixed that maddening problem! The beloved wiki we put so much work into so that blood came out of our fingers finally looks better than a trash heap, once more! --Bale 02:31, 22 June 2010 (UTC)

Believe me, I felt the same way. Trying to figure it out with fewyn today on IRC was maddening; there was no obvious reason why it broke! Thankfully, the current method is built into mediwiki (not through an extension), so there's much less chance that it will break in the future. Yay! --StDoodle (#1059825) 03:22, 22 June 2010 (UTC)